Saturday 23 November 2013

Allegiant Book Review

Title: Allegiant
Author: Veronica Roth
# of Pages: 526
Series #: Divergent #3
Reading Span: October 29th - November 17th
Rating: ****/

Allegiant, as I'm sure all of you know, is the final book in the Divergent trilogy written by Veronica Roth. Before going into the book, I heard some very mixed things, particularly surrounding the ending, so I was a bit hesitant to like it at first. All I have to say to this is that I thought that everyone was wrong. I didn't cry... I'm heartless.

Okay, they weren't necessarily wrong, and yes, it was sad. BUt the ending I thought fit the book absolutely perfectly, like the missing piece of the puzzle. Especially how it was written. If it were anyone else that had written it, I don't think I would have lived through it. So well done!

Okay, enough of "ending talk". I want to dig deeper into characters, as they really stood out to me in this novel especially. There is a lot more character development, and we get to know a lot more about Tris, Four and the rest of the gang. Roth also goes into detail of specific relationships and I think that really added to the overall story and plot line. There were also lots of family and value issues floating around which I really liked.

The plot of this story was a lot slower paced than the other two books in the series, which was great because it gave Roth more opportunity to get into the characters and world-building. That being said, I think that the 500 plus pages was a bit long for what was actually there, and it could have been shortened to at least 300, and maybe even less.

SPOILER ENDING DISCUSSION
I had suspicions about the ending and what was going to happen before, so I wasn't really surprised when Tris died. I thought that it showed who Tris really was, and that was a wonderful addition to the story. The epilogue was sort of random though, and I didn't buy the fact that everything was perfectly okay. It did leave me satisfied though, so I guess it gets points for that.
SPOILER OVER

One last random thought. You know the cliff-hanger at the end of Insurgent (by the way, if you haven't read Insurgent yet then don't read this part)? Well, that "fact" wasn't really put into play in all of Allegiant, and that frustrated me. And the title as well... Just... grrrrrrr.

Okay, that's it from me! I hope you enjoyed this review of Allegiant. If you have read the other two books in the series, then I defiantly recommend you check this final instalment out (although make sure you remember what happened in them before reading Allegiant). Until next time, happy reading! And may the odds be ever in your favour.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, I seriously have to read Insurgent gosh. Both #2 and #3 sound soooo good, plus I loved Divergent!

    I also tagged you in my new book tag, it's called Scavenger Hunt Book Tag! (Can you guess what it is??) Check it out if you want! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :)

    ~ Kalindee @ They Start Revolutions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you seriously do! The whole trilogy is really great :)

      I will be posting the tag... eventually. I have all of the photos for it! Thanks for tagging me!

      ~ Brianna @ For The Love of Books

      Delete