Tuesday 19 November 2013

GINS Meets Consumerism


Consumerism affects us all, whether we like to admit it or not. For this post, I am going to be thinking about how consumerism affects others by comparing the two projects that I have been working on these past few weeks; The Global Issues Novel Study (GINS) and my Consumerism Tumblr. Links to both of these “projects” are linked on my blog sidebar.
In my novel, Gabrielle’s parents encourage her very strongly to continue in school, no matter what the cost. Many of the people in Gabrielle’s peer group are unable to attend because it cost too much money that their families need for food and other basic needs. In fact, Gabrielle’s family suffers from food shortages as well, since she is going to school. This is one example how the economic system affects my book.
After finding out more about Guatemala and it’s circumstances (2006-2011), I came across the fact that 14% of the Guatemalan population is below the international poverty line of the United States ($1.25) per day. This really puts perspectives on the difference between the girl in my book compared to myself. When reading, it’s sometimes is a bit hard to wrap my head around her living conditions, and this fact really brings that to my attention. This fact also shows how much Gabrielle’s family was really giving up to let her go to school, and why they were so desperate that she continues with it even as the genocide started.
  I hope that this informed you well and that you well and that you will consider it the next time you read Tree Girl. Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment