Friday 26 April 2013

Under The Never Sky Book Review

Author: Veronica Rossi
# of Pages: 374
Reading Span:
Rating: still deciding

Yay! It's my first TBR book review. Don't worry, I'm going to start catching up on the book reviews for past months, but I'm going to start with Under The Never Sky because it's fresh in my mind. So, Under The Never Sky. I read it while I was in a bit of a slump - after reading Eve and then putting down two books after that because I couldn't... I just couldn't. This book didn't really help me out either. It was pretty good, don't get me wrong, but I think I would have enjoyed it even more if I had read it after or before my little reading slump. Anyways....

I really liked the idea of the world in this book. The idea of having an "outside" and an "inside" was so cool, but I think that it could have been done better. A main part of this book is finding out the "inside's" secrets, but it didn't seem too important. The information wasn't anything that was really worth keeping away from Aria, and it just made the characters naïve.

And the characters... Hmmmm. I don't know how I feel about them. Aria isn't a strong character, and that's one of the traits that I look for in a female protagonist, especially in a book like this. I also thought that Perry was a bit weak as well, although I think I do like him more than Aria. My favourite character was probably Roar or Marron. Both of them had good personalities, and traits that I could look up to. I also liked Aether guy. I could relate to him and understand what he was going through, and I enjoyed reading about him along the way.

The plot, on the other hand, was enjoyable. It had a point! Although some things got a bit repetitious. That being said, it was never really boring. Almost never. The only thing that really annoyed me about the plot was the romance. I get it Perry, she smells like roses, now hurry up and fight or else you are going to die! I don't know, maybe if I liked romance better, this part wouldn't have bothered me, but I personally didn't enjoy it.

Now how could I forget about the magical element? It was awesome! I think that that was the thing that really pulled up he rating for me. I liked the idea of senses and the Aether and ah! So amazing. If I were to recommend this book for one reason, that would be it.

The writing style was also good. Good. Not amazing, but not bad either. Just good. There were no run-on sentences or awkward word choices, but there were no amazing descriptions within it either. Nothing special, just goodness.

So yeah. That is my review of Under athe Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. I recommend this book to people who enjoy young-adult fantasy. If you are looking for a dystopia, I would say to look somewhere else. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and Uglies by Scott Westerfeld are both great dystopias that you may want to check out.

Have you read Under The Never Sky? Are you planning on it? Leave your thoughts down below, and don't forget to subscribe. Happy reading!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. I am really looking forward to reading it... I hope I enjoy it! Also, you might want to take off the highlight. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... What highlight?

      And yeah, I think that you should defiantly read it. It wasn't bad exactly, just not what I was expecting. And I know that you love fantasy, so I think that you will really enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  2. The text is highlighted white, and since your background is not white, you can see the highlight.

    Thanks for your feedback! I hope I'll enjoy it too. :)

    ReplyDelete