Tuesday 25 June 2013

Gone Book Review

Title: Gone
Author: Michael Grant
# of Pages: 558
Reading Span: 20 Days :(
Rating: ***** (5 stars)

Before I start with this review, I would like to tell you a story...

Once upon a time in my car I was talking to my dad. At that time my dad was talking about science. Then he said something about sublimation, and I was like, "Wha-?" Then he explained that it is when a solid goes to a gas and skips the liquid stage. It we want to get all science-y with Gone, this is what happened.

Anyways, here's my review.

Gone was an enjoyable novel. The concept was very original. I especially liked how the synopsis on the back doesn't give anything away, and the action got started right from the first two sentences. Of course, the next few chapters were still part of the exposition, they were just more interesting to read about than the average introduction. Another thing that I really liked about this book was the characters and the perspectives of each of them. The main perspective is Sam who is our protagonist. He is an amazing person who feels most of the emtions that you and I would feel if we were in the situation that he is. People treat him like a leader, yet he doesn't want to be because he doesn't trust himself. He thinks that he may have started the uprising, and of course this leads to a lot of emotional feelings. He isn't the only one we hear from though. There are many different charter perspectives introduced which leaves us with a goos understanding of how being in different situations would make us feel. Lana, for example, experiences visits from animals and the phase that they are going through, and doesn't understand what is happening because she is isolated from people. Another perspective is Jack, who works for the bullies but is torn between the two sides. We also get a little bit of Drake (as well as some of the other bad guys) who is a natural killer who works for the evil side. Also, I really liked the violence that this novel provided. That sounds really bad, but it added to the mood, suspense and plot so much. There also wasn't really too much gore to make it overwhelming. Something else about the plot was the wolves. It wasn't my favourite thing to read about, but it gave the book that "little extra flavour". It was a cool aspect and especially enhanced the metamorphism that was contributing. If that was all I was considering, this book would be a 5 star read for me. All in all, a good novel. Sure, at the end I was left with some unanswered questions, but I'm sure that they were there (or, in lack of a better word: weren't there) to set up the rest of the series. That being said, I'm rewarding Gone by Michael Grant 5 out of 5 stars. I will defiantly be checking out the next book soon, and I recommend you read this book if you haven't already.

Later thoughts:
This book seemed very unrealistic as far as the romance goes, and the plot seemed a bit repetitive. I still really enjoyed it though, so my new rating is 4/5 stars.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment