Tuesday 19 February 2013

Th1rteen R3asons Why Book Review

Title: Th1rteen R3asons Why
Author: Jay Asher
# of Pages: 288
Reading Span: One Day
Rating: ***** (five stars)


If this rating was based solely of the mood of the book, I would rate it one star. It was so horrible reading the words of a dead girl who took her own life, even if she was only a fictional character. However, I am looking more at the literary elements, which provides this book with a different rating.
          Everything about this book was pretty good. I could sympathize for the characters, and I got to know them really well as the story progressed. The thirteen reasons why Hannah killed herself all who've together eventually and I could understand how that motivated her to make the decision that she did. As the tapes progress and the actions that people took get worse, you get more and more sympathetic towards her.
          We get to know Clay better as he listened to more and more tapes as well. At first I was a bit unsure of his thoughts, thinking that Jay Asher had overdone his feelings, but really, it was perfect, but I didn't realize it until more of the tapes were getting listened to. Tony was also a great character to read about. I loved how he acted like a rose in the kiddy of thorns. It added relief to not only Clay, but to readers as well when he came into the text. There is one instance in particular that almost makes you want to throw up because of how sad it is, but then there comes Tony how eases this feeling.
          The setting is also very good in this book. Throughout the novel you follow a map that Hannah has left for clay to follow, which helps him experience what he is hearing better, and enhances sense of setting for the readers. I found that to be a very interesting addition to the book. Not only was it spoken of inside, but the inside of the dust jacket there is the map so you can get fully engrossed in the story's setting.
          The plot progression was also very well done. As mentioned before, it started with the little things, but then grew into things that were so much bigger. It made a for a good exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. That's another thing: the ending. Who would have known that there could have been a good ending to this? I certainly didn't, but then experienced it as the book drew to a close. It left me as satisfied as I could be. Yes, after finishing this all I wanted to do was lie in bed, thinking and reflecting on it, but other than that I was able to move on fairly well.
          The only thing that I didn't like as far as literary elements goes is the format. Sometimes is was hard to tell the difference between the italics (Hannah) and the normal text (Clay). I never really got used to it, but I don't think that there would have been a better way to tell the difference between Hannah and Clay, either than colour which sort of bothers me anyways.
          I will never forget this novel, and the impacts it has had on my life will never leave me. I recommend that everyone reads this who is 13 years or older. Not only does this age limit will help you understand what is happening better, but this book does cover some mature topics. That being said, I think that everyone needs to read this to help us gain more information about suicide, taking us one step closer to stopping it.

2 comments:

  1. Brianna, your review and sentiments of this book have intrigued me to read it, despite it's grim plot line. Your explanation and thoughts about the book are very well written! I'm curious why exactly you thought the ending was so satisfying.

    Overall I think you did a wonderful job on your review, and liked how you touched on the fact that we should be more aware of suicide so that we can prevent it.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Meagan! Thanks for stopping by! It's really nice to see that you are connecting to my blog. As for the satisfying ending... sorry. That would be a spoiler, but if you aren't planning on reading the book I'll put it right here:

      SPOILER ALERT!!! At the end Clay is going over to this girl who is going to commit suicide and helps her get over it (at least that is what it's implying. SPOILER OVER!!

      Delete